new feature: flanking and morale

Any other ideas that does not fit to the specific categories.

Moderator: Endru1241

balint

new feature: flanking and morale

Post by balint » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:41 pm

morale:
units mhave a given amount of max morale, for exanple 10.
If they get attacked, the morale will drop with for example5. if they get flanked, they will loose 6 morale eacjh turn.
if their morale reach 0 they will gain a condition: broken. their stats ghalves.

flank: If two or more units are next to an enemy he will get flanked.
This is Hungary and winter is coming.

ejm29

Re: new feature: flanking and morale

Post by ejm29 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:02 pm

Sounds good.

COOLguy

Post by COOLguy » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:34 pm

Good idea. This was practiced in "Populus Romanus", am I right? :)
On the flip side, it might change gameplay too much, and make an almost completely new game.
Thanks!
Josh

balint

Post by balint » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:47 am

Yes, it came from populus romanus :)
Maybe a turn off function too.
This is Hungary and winter is coming.

ollie444

Post by ollie444 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:32 pm

I think stats should go down as the morale drops (maybe minus a 20th per morale point - we don't want it too OP!) and when morale reaches 0, the unit disobeys you and runs from battle.
Flanking is a good idea but it should probably be a different idea. Morale should be lost every time they are hit, or if they walk a long way (walking will bring it down to max 5 morale points, or if they run away just after a long walk, it'll be stupid). Morale should go up when they destroy an enemy unit.

But I agree; morale would change the game wayyyyyyy too much- maybe a new gamemode for random/multiplayer maps.

As for flanking, as I said before, is a pretty neat idea.
You should have a 2x bonus for attacking behind directly, and 1.5x bonus for side attacking.
Direction could be based on where you attacked or were attacked from last turn. If you didn't attack last turn, you have no directions and can't be flanked UNLESS the opposition attacks you from one side with one unit, and then again with another. NOTE: it would probably be too hard (code wise) to do this with ranged units, so melee only)

ollie444

Post by ollie444 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:45 am

I really think this idea, flanking at least, is essential for the game. It will give a new aspect, formations, into the game, instead of mindless charging.

Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:25 pm

I undcerstand what you think, but units haven't any kind of real direction (you can't really tell wich part of the unit is in front or behind)
I'd make the thing a bit different:

When a melee unit attack an enemy unit, it should check if that unit have any allied (of the attacker) unit around
If the unit is at the opposite side it gives -1 to armor (or +1 to damage) and any unit on the sides (respect of the attacker) a +0,5 to damage (or a -0,5 to armor)
For a maximum of +2 damage (if 4 unit attack together they get +8 damage in total)

for ranged unit you get a +0,5 to damage for eny allied (of the attacker) unit around the target
Age of Fantasy design leader

ollie444

Post by ollie444 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:50 pm

You could show a small arrow/triangle around the unit when highlighted, or normally

Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:59 pm

but that would mean that you have to decide the unit orientation every time you move a unit, i think that would slow down the game (imho)
Age of Fantasy design leader

ollie444

Post by ollie444 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:39 pm

This is decided by the direction in which the unit last acted. So if a unit moves down twice and left, he faces left. If he then attacks up, his direction is up. if he, in the opponents turn, is attacked from right, his direction is then right. At the beginning of the next turn, his direction is refresed to no direction. at no direction, he can't be flanked.

COOLguy

Post by COOLguy » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:41 pm

I think this is a good idea, but not for this game. Maybe for a later variation "Age of Industry" which brings in more tactics and economy like balint has been suggesting occasionally.
Thanks!
Josh

DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:49 pm

Wooooah ok...

I'm sorry... but I am honestly going to have to give a -1 to this idea, I do not like :(
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.

ollie444

Post by ollie444 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:33 pm

Nooooooo not the -1!!!

DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:39 pm

Well, I feel like this just alters the game way to much.

I would give this a +1 for future games thouh, especially world war strategy
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.

Return to “Others”