Starting packs

Any other ideas that does not fit to the specific categories.

Moderator: Endru1241

ollie444

Re: Starting packs

Post by ollie444 » Sat May 16, 2015 2:48 pm

Why did we stop here?

balint

Post by balint » Mon May 18, 2015 2:11 pm

I have no idea.
This is Hungary and winter is coming.

ollie444

Post by ollie444 » Mon May 18, 2015 4:53 pm

On the dev version there is a button for this, which has been there for a while. I hope it will come soon...

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:16 pm

ok, came to me to implement this, i see there are 4 main approaches
1. the basic idea: minimal,normal,maximal
eg:
minimal: 1 worker
normal: 1 scout horse + 3 worker
maximal: 4 worker + 2 scout + 1 knight + 1 pikeman

2. more fined idea - still fixed like oli suggested
samples:
Offensive - 1 knight, 2 sword, 1 archer
Defensive - 2 Shielder, 1 pikeman, 1 healer
Expansive - 2 scout, 1 bird scout, 1 knight
Constructive - 4 worker
Fire Power - 1 ballista, 1 worker
General - 1 man-at-arms
Tactical - 1 templar, 1 pikeman, 1 archer, 1 worker
Strike team - 1 wagon, 3 swordsman
Strength - 4 man-at-arms

3. customized ability
on setup the creator can chose any units.

4. The player has some (eg. 12) turns to "spend" on units before starting. but how?

------------------------------------

the ultimate best idea: is the 4th - but i can not imagine how that would work.

the next favorite: would be the 3rd, but there is a problem: the AOF game, because there are different races and the "creator" could chose to the enemy weaker units...
this is no problem on games (like AOS) where there are no races. But no other game is ok for this.

so if we can not make the 4th (i can not yet imagine how), than we should go back to idea 1. and 2.

COOLguy

Post by COOLguy » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:26 pm

Yes 4 is by far the best. :)
3 would be next best for AoS, and 2 would be for AoF
Thanks!
Josh

DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:50 pm

I REAALLLLY like this idea, but it should deffinately be balanced and very weak. Like...

Scout: 3 dogs and a worker
Surveillance: 2 birds and a worker
Defensive: 2 pikemen and a worker
Offensive: light cavalry and a worker
Builders: 2 workers
Balanced: 1 samurai and a worker

And I think that AI should pick one randomly, and every human player should be able to choose for themselves.
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.

Alexander82

Post by Alexander82 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:13 am

i like 4, it would be the best for AoF

To implement it the starting tc should have a button that makes the turn countdown. You choose production and click the button until the unit is produced; after that you can choose another unit and continue clicking until it is made.

That way you would also able to consume every single turn, because if you have some spare turns you can invest them in starting the production of a unit that you'll finish creating during the actual game.
Age of Fantasy design leader

Hardeep

Post by Hardeep » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:43 am

Daniel (the dev) wrote:
the ultimate best idea: is the 4th - but i can not imagine how that would work
I have an idea, how about the player has the set amount of 'money' to begin (1 money unit, one turn)
The player can use up the money on TC techs and units depending on location (water, landlocked)
You cannot partway finish the unit/tech
If you have too many units (more than 4) the transaction is invalid and you must make sure you only have 4
What do you think? Is it possible?
There never was much hope... just a fool's hope

DoomCarrot
Location: Commanding General's quarters, a tall keep above the mighty city of Carrot's Point

Post by DoomCarrot » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:48 am

So Hardeep, is that like a point system kind of? Where each unit is worth a certain amount of points (or money) and you get to spend i before the game starts basically?
The day is coming when a single carrot, freshly observed, will set off a revolution.

Hardeep

Post by Hardeep » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:47 am

DoomCarrot wrote:So Hardeep, is that like a point system kind of? Where each unit is worth a certain amount of points (or money) and you get to spend i before the game starts basically?
1 money= 1 turn was what i had in mind, but know that you mention it, it would probably be better if it was more... numerous amount of moneys than the default turn cost, maybe like for most its simply x2 (just speculation) the turn cost but for some units (like worker) it takes more, and for some units (scout) it takes less
So it would be possible to get a man at arms but he would be more expensive than a base swordsman
Yea pretty much a point system, where only TC available units/techs are displayed
There never was much hope... just a fool's hope

DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:26 pm

That makes sense, thats kind of what I was imagining when I read #4 as well

Stratego (dev)
Site Admin

Post by Stratego (dev) » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:07 pm

ok,
- now it was the least time to make the 1st version,
- but i left open a possibilty for the 4th version - but that is not ready ,
-- and i still dont know how should the player choose how to spend the starting "turns", the "pumping the production queue is not so nice i think)

DoomCarrot

Post by DoomCarrot » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:56 pm

Well, if you can make some inventory screen before your first turn (like town centers production screen) Where it lists the "cost" of each unit. You could have a "buy" and "return" button for buying units or changing them before game. You could have a little icon somewhere that shows how much gold you have left or whatever.

Then, when you are done, you can tap a "done" button that saves everything temporarily and closes the menu, and you are then shown the map like you would early game. But this is where you put your units on the map. For instance, a green 3x3 box or something could appear where you would normally spawn, (maybe 4x4 in case you spawn in a lot of rocks and tcs and have few spaces to put your units) and your purchased units appear at side of screen. You tap on the unit, then t where you want him to be, and he starts there. Once all of your units are down or you run out of spaces to put them, you hit a "start" button that ends the whole process and starts your first turn.

Something like that is what I would imagine.

Sorry If that was terribly confusing, I was just doing my physics homework and my brain is kind of fried :?

Return to “Others”